It is important to know the signs and symptoms to look out for in heart attacks,
Simple Symptoms of a heart attack can include:
- Chest pain
- Pain in other parts of the body – it can feel as if the pain is travelling from your chest to your arms (usually the left arm is affected, but it can affect both arms), jaw, neck, back and abdomen
- Becoming Lightheaded & Dizzy
- Shortness of Breath
- Feeling Sick (nausea) or Being Sick (vomiting)
- An overwhelming sense of anxiety (similar to having a panic attack)
- Coughing or Wheezing
- Although the chest pain is often severe, some people may only experience minor pain, similar to indigestion. In some cases, there may not be any chest pain at all, especially in women, the elderly and people with diabete
It's the overall pattern of symptoms that helps to determine whether you are having a heart attack.
Dr. Christiaan Barnard's first human heart transplant is a world renowned topic that has lead to many breakthroughs within medicine itself. Although Dr. Barnard's patient, Louis Washkansky, only lived for another 18 days after the heart transplant, due to severe infection, he will forever be written in a crucial part of history.
Since 1967, there has been numerous heart transplant surgeries, many success stories and many more memories to be made.
Oliver Crawford, the youngest ever to receive a heart transplant, received a heart transplant at just 6 days old, wouldn't have had the opportunity to live a normal, happy, healthy life without Dr. Barnard's breakthrough.
This year we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the First Heart Transplant, but not only do we celebrate Dr. Christiaan Barnard and The Groote Schuur Hospital, we celebrate all the patients who has been blessed with more years to come.
We celebrate the new memories each of them can look forward to having, we celebrate a grandmother being able to meet her grandchild, a father being able to walk his daughter down the aisle and a child being able to have a future.
We celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the First Heart Transplant. We celebrate 22777 successful stories.Simpson,
Prof. M.A. "A History of Transplants." 24.com, 4 Apr. 2012, www.health24.com/Medical/Heart/Heart-transplants/A-history-of-transplants-20120721
Bushak, Lecia. "Premature Baby gets Heart Transplant." Medical Daily, 4 Feb. 2015, www.medicaldaily.com/premature-baby-gets-heart-transplant-just-6-days-old-becomes-youngest-us-undergo-322174.